20160525

Marilyn Minter Full of Grace

I discovered Marilyn Minter about a month or two ago and I was kind of grossed out but aroused all at the same time. I'm not a fan of mouths, I mean I am in the manner of sex, but in general I think they're disgusting. French kissing has always been something that grosses me out to an extreme that sometimes I'd rather just not kiss to avoid any sort of tongue on tongue, saliva swapping experiences. Something about sharing that many germs just makes me sick. Plus there's always the chance that the other person has a gross mouth. Ew. Anyway, I digress. 

Marilyn Minter is an American artist that creates some of the most incredibly disgusting and arousing images that I've seen in a while. Her main focus is extreme closeups of women's mouths filled with diamonds, pearls and even penises. I was reintroduced to Marilyn by way of the Lena Dunham and her extraordinary newsletter, Lenny. In the issue, Laia Garcia interviews Marilyn Minter asking her a series of questions about her upbringing, her inspiration and most notably her work with Planned Parenthood, Marc Jacobs & Miley Cyrus. 


We thought, Well, let’s make more money for Planned Parenthood somehow, and we thought, We just have to get a young spokesperson. I thought, Let’s ask Jeffrey [Deitch, an art dealer] to approach Miley, because I know Jeffrey, and he had done a bunch of events with her. We thought that was [a] pie-in-the-sky idea, but we thought it might be possible because we knew she was an activist. We emailed him, and he said, “That’s a great idea,” so we wrote a letter, a handwritten letter, to give to Miley. I think we had just given it to him, and then I just happened to go to this party at Paper editor Kim Hastreiter’s house. She’s a fabulous cook, and someone said, “Oh, this is Diane Martel, she styled Miley Cyrus for the cover of Paper,” which had just come out. I said, “Oh, that’s a coincidence. I’m about to ask Miley Cyrus if she’ll get involved with Planned Parenthood.” Diane says, “I’m her best friend,” and she FaceTimed her. We asked her right there, and she said yes!
The collaboration spoken about above can be found at: Marc Jacobs where you can see videos of Marilyn and Miley working together as well as shop the two styles of T-shirts that support Planned Parenthood. 100% of net profits from T-shirt sales will go to Planned Parenthood, which provides vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of women, men, and young people worldwide. 

Here are some of my favorite images by created by Marilyn Minter